Peace, Justice and Global Missions
The PJGM ministry of Blacksburg Presbyterian Church works to deepen the awareness and participation in the BPC congregation. We do this by encouraging dialogue among differing views, identifying and addressing situations of violence and injustice, and providing support for organizations acting to promote peace and justice locally and globally, and by engaging with programs of the PC(USA) and its agencies.
The PJGM team meets monthly at BPC. For date and time check out the BPC Calendar. All are welcome.
Information from our Global Mission Partners
Mission Co-Worker Leslie Vogel Guatemala
Ruth Shakespeare in Malawi
An educational opportunity you don't want to miss!
Blacksburg UMC is starting a monthly Faith and Film series that is free and open to all! The first installment will be on Thursday, September 8, from 6:30-8 p.m. in the Central Conference Room.
The film will be One Light, Many Candles, a multi-faith program in word and song presented by Reverend Betty Stookey and Noel Paul Stookey (“Paul” of Peter, Paul & Mary).
Focusing on ecumenicism, the program of readings and music reflect the diversity and integrity of individual faith while seeking a global spiritual community.
Can't make it to the first one? There will be several more opportunities to participate! Check out the schedule!
For more information on the ways you can be involved please contact us.
- Malawi - Dr. Sue Makin at Mulanje Mission Hospital, Mulanje Mission Nursing School Scholarship Program, Mulanje Mission Secondary School
- Guatemala - Central American Evangelical Center for Pastoral Studies (CEDEPCA), PC(USA) coworker Leslie Vogel. Here is the 2015 Summary of Activities Report for CEDEPCA.
- Bangladesh - PC(USA) coworkers (Names cannot be printed for their security)
- Presbyterian Peace Fellowship - click here
- Spotlight - brief, researched reports on various topics intended to illuminate, inspire and motivate others. It is released monthly through BPC newsletter and bulletin.
- Virginia Interfaith Center for Public Policy (VICPP) - click here
- Conversation NRV - creating a space for different points of view to have a civil discourse on topics of civil policy. For more details regarding their work click here
- PC(USA) Office of Public Witness - click here
- Ecumenical Advocacy Days (EAD) - an annual conference in Washington, D.C. which provides participants with tools to be effective Christian witnesses in a variety of ways. Click here for more information. The dates for the 2016 event are April 15 - 18.
- Cents-Ability - The Presbyterian Hunger Program that provides food for those in need and engages youth to collect food and money donations while learning about food security issues.
- Fair Trade Coffee - Through the PC(USA) fair trade efforts there are many products available. We support these efforts through the coffee, tea and chocolate products. More information can be found here.